Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Introduction

Welcome

Hello there, Reader!

I've never been good at either "hello"s or "goodbye"s, so I apologize for whatever may ensue. (Also, I apologize a lot. Sorry, get used to it. Derp.)
Anyway~

Hi! My name is Liz, and I'm an English major at a private university in Illinois. Since this already feels like a "it'sthefirstdayofclasssharesomethinginterestingaboutyourselfwiththeclass" thing, I think I'll just nonchalantly mention that I can lick my elbow and bend my body into a human pretzel. It's pretty gross.
But - yes - school - English - literature! Now, I won't lie to you, I originally thought up the idea for this blog as an end of the semester project for one of my favorite classes, Young Adult Literature. The guidelines for the final project were so broad that after having a mini spazz attack over having far too many choices, I thought it could be fun (or perhaps a horrible mistake) to make something that people in the real world might actually use. I know the chances of that happening are pretty low -  but for now, I can pretend... right Non-existent Reader?

Something you must know is that I'm one of the only people in my Young Adult Lit class who chose to be there; most of my peers are education majors who are required to take the class to graduate. I'm just a weirdo 20-year-old who still hasn't "grown out of" the Young Adult genre (though, I could argue that no one ever really "grows out of it," one simply chooses to leave it behind -- but that's a rant for another day).

It probably seems silly, but in the past few years Young Adult lit has gotten me through more rough times than I can count. I mean, I know I'm not the only one who has used reading as a form of escapism or as a crutch when trying to face reality, but either way, no one ever really talks about it - especially when it focuses around "tough stuff," or taboo subjects, or things like that. I don't know about you, but I feel like my entire life has been one craphole after another. The crap has just manifested itself differently from year to year. We all face crap in our lives, especially when we're growing up, but no one ever talks about it -- and it sucks!

So... I'm here. To actually, ya know, TALK about it.
I'm going to read some "tough stuff"-y YA lit and review that YA lit and connect it to my life in hopes that you, too, can face the skeletons in your closet one day. Maybe it'll be today. Maybe it'll be a few weeks, or months, or years - or maybe never - I don't know.
Just remember: no matter how you may feel sometimes, you're not alone.
You are never alone. 


Click here for info on the format of this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment